Create Your Own Nail Polish Color with Mineral Powders
An oft forgotten element of mineral cosmetics is their versatility. A blush can just as easily become an eye shadow, eyeliner, lip color, or nail color. Today we'll teach you how to create your own nail polish colors with mineral powders.
Any eye shadow can be adaptable. The advantage is that such versatility extends the range of your makeup exponentially. It is especially helpful when you wish to use complementary shades in your makeup application. It allows you to experiment with colors without spending any additional money, and enables you to synthesize a small amount for a single wearing, avoiding the cost of a full jar or bottle that will sit abandoned in a drawer after a few uses.
Of these, converting mineral powders into nail color seems to elude people the most. It is a simple process that can achieve great results.
- Endless possibilities. Change color frequently.
- Custom colors.
- Less wasteful.
- Add sparkle or sheen to an existing color for a special occasion.
- Practical: Use an inexpensive clear or neutral polish base to make multiple shades.
- Any color polish can be modified to either changing color or adding sparkle to an existing color.
How to create your own nail polish with mineral powders
- Pour a small amount of clear nail polish into a disposable plastic cup/onto a sheet of plastic, dish etc.
- Tap a small amount of mineral powder of choice into the base polish and stir.
- Adjust color intensity by adding more powder.
- Use a disposable brush to apply color to nails. Alternatively, use any nail polish brush and clean with nail polish remover before reinserting into bottle.
- If you find a color you particularly like, add mineral powder directly to nail polish bottle, shake to mix, and enjoy. Adjust color at any time with additional mineral powder.
NOTE: If you find the polish becomes too thick, add more base or thin with nail polish remover a drop at a time.
Three Alternative Methods
- Tap some mineral powders onto a piece of plastic wrap/dish/container. Dip brush in clear polish and then into the mineral powder. Apply.
- Apply clear base coat and while still tacky, brush mineral powder over it. Apply clear top coat.
- Rub mineral powder color into the surface of the nails. Apply clear top coat.
Professional technique: Gradient Fade Apply multiple colors which gradually fade into each other. Read through directions first and prepare materials. Use mineral mixtures prepared above.
- Apply a base color and let it dry completely.
- Apply a second color to either the tips of the nails (fades downward), or the base of the nails (fades upward). Do not give this color time to set.
- Use an inexpensive clear nail polish to pull the color downward (or upward) before the colors have time to set. Pull color so that it fades into base color.
- Clean brush with acetone or nail polish remover before replacing it into bottle
HINT: Pour a small amount of clear polish into a cap/plastic cup etc. before you start. This keeps you from introducing color into the bottle.
Warning: Some colors should not be applied to the lips
Now that you know how, the possibilities are endless! You can be as creative as you like with nail polish colors. Have fun!
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.
Also in Abbey St Clare Blog
If you have dark spots that have gradually appeared on your face, hands, and other parts of your body, you are not alone. They are called “age” spots. We go along for years with a balanced skin tone, and one day discover that time has caught up with us in the form of discolorations on our skin. Hands are a prime focus for these spots and are a telling indication of age.
We all want flawless, satiny skin. Unfortunately, large pores can stand in the way of a smooth, clear complexion. Oily skin is especially susceptible to enlarged pores.
The holidays are right around the corner, which means more holiday parties and photo-ops with co-workers, friends, and family. This is a perfect opportunity to indulge in interesting and dramatic makeup ideas that add extra sparkle to your looks and spirit.